This event has been cancelled and will be rescheduled as soon as possible
The Conflict Prevention and Risk Analysis Division (CPRA) of the Institute for Security Studies (ISS) - Addis Ababa Office would like to cordially invite you to a public seminar entitled Somalia after August 2012: The Way Forward.
Since the escalation of the crisis in 1991, Somalia has witnessed over 18 attempts by a variety of actors and organisations to bring an end to the conflict. Numerous peace and reconciliation conferences, mostly externally driven, have been held in Ethiopia, Djibouti and Kenya. The latest peace conferences were held in London in February 2012 and in Istanbul in June 2012. They laid down a comprehensive strategy aimed at stabilising Somalia and undoubtedly increased the hope for a better future for Somalia by bringing the protracted conflict to the attention of the international community. The seminar will promote an informed discussion on the significance and progress of AMISOM and its operations as well as the role of the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD), and examine how Somali institutions can be transformed from transitional status to full government as part of the implementation of the Roadmap.
The Conflict Prevention and Risk Analysis Division (CPRA) strives to complement and support the work of the African Union (AU), particularly on issues of peace and security. The ISS Public Seminar Series is part of the CPRA effort at consensus-building by providing a platform for sharing information, and encouraging policy debates and dialogues on the African peace and security agenda. The aim is to stimulate quality discussion and in-depth and constructive interaction between participants. Our presenters will mainly be coming from the AU and IGAD.
- Ambassador Mohamed Idris Farah (Chairperson of the AU Peace and Security Council and Ambassador of the Republic of Djibouti to Ethiopia and Permanent Representative to the African Union)
- Ambassador Boubacar Gaoussou Diarra (Special Representative of the Chairperson of the African Union Commission for Somalia)
- Ambassador Mull S. Katende (Ambassador of the Republic of Uganda to Ethiopia and Permanent Representative to the African Union)
- Ambassador Said Yousuf Noor (Ambassador of the Republic of Somalia to Ethiopia and Permanent Representative to the African Union)
- Colonel Gabre Egziabher Alemseged (Political Advisor, IGAD Office of the Facilitator for Somalia Peace and National Reconciliation)
- Dr. Mehari Taddele Maru (Programme Head, Conflict Prevention and Risk Analysis Division, Institute for Security Studies, Addis Ababa Office)
- Mr. Gilbert K. Ng`eno (Third Secretary, Embassy of the Republic of Kenya to Ethiopia)
- Mr. Getachew Reda (Director of Public Diplomacy and Communications, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ethiopia)
note discussions occur under ISS Rule
Participants are free to use the information received, but neither the identity nor the affiliation of the speaker, nor that of any other participant, may be revealed without his/her express permission.
ISS Addis Ababa Office
Get House Building
Mrs. Beakal Bisrat
Phone: +251 11 372 1154
Fax: +251 11 372 5954