The workshop brought together the statutory police, civilian oversight institutions and civil society to consider police oversight in the region with a view to charting a way forward and recommending ways to share knowledge and expertise that will build capacity and promote effective policing oversight in the region. In their opening address, the speakers acknowledged the concern for public safety in many southern African countries and especially in the cities, and stated that solutions required holistic strategies, but warned that without effective and accountable policing the situation was likely to deteriorate.
Specifically, the workshop aimed to:
- Share knowledge and experiences on police oversight in the region
- Identify opportunities and challenges for building police oversight in the region
- Develop an action plan for building police oversight in the region
- Promote APCOF in Southern Africa
- Encourage networking and collaboration among stakeholders in the region
- Promote the development of a network on police oversight and accountability in Southern Africa
As such, the workshop was an important opportunity to examine the challenges facing police oversight in the Southern African region and to identify strategies on how to strengthen oversight mechanisms.