The African peace operations environment is continuously transforming, leaving planners facing a number of complex situations. Scenario planning provides a key platform and future view on what can be expected and how best to prepare for future peace operations.
This seminar brings together a wide range of expertise on peace operations. The aim is to reach agreement on the role of scenarios as a necessary element in foreign policy and defence planning that will ensure that Africa continues to fulfil its role in future peace operations.
Annette Leijenaar, Division Head, Conflict Management and Peacebuilding, ISS Pretoria
- Dr Wibke Hansen, German Centre for International Peace Operations (ZIF), will present the four possible scenarios as outlined in ZIF’s publication ‘Peace Operations 2025’
- Mr Sivuyile Bam, Head, AU Peace Support Operations Division (PSOD), will discuss the PSOD’s requirements for future peace operations
- Ms Fefe Dwabayo, Director, National Office for Coordination of Peace Missions (NOCPM), Department of International Relations and Cooperation (DIRCO), will present an overview of the White Paper for Peace Operations that is currently under consideration
- Prof Anthoni van Nieuwkerk, University of Witwatersrand, will explore the use of scenarios in future strategic planning
- Helmoed Römer Heitman, independent defence analyst, will consider the South African National Defence Force’s (SANDF) readiness to participate in future African peace operations
Please note: For all ISS events, specific permission must be sought from the speaker(s) concerned before anything they said can be quoted, unless indicated otherwise.
Casa Toscana Lodge